Monday, February 05, 2007

My other brother in need

My other brother called the other and left a message just saying “ Ryan its Niall call me”. While Niall is not my real brother but in my mind he is. I meet Niall of spring of 1995, our ship just returned to Japan after six months in the gulf and we had huge influx of new people joining the ship. Our shop had six new bodies, Niall being one of the shorter ones kind of stood out. He was assigned to me to show him around and get him checked in all the departments gets a rack. this lead to friendship that lasted to date,
We don’t live in the state or city anymore. But because of this friend is how I meet Melissa because his wife and the time worked together, I had moved out to Oregon to be his best man in his wedding and he was mine in our wedding. We worked for the same company while I lived in Portland.
While in the Navy Niall had some grand adventures and I mean some adventures, I know most you think I’m some clean cut young man , but the truth be told we had some fun. We would pool our money and pack our backpacks and jump on a train and just get lost for a weekend sleeping trains, benches and beaches we just go until we could go anymore then stand and march forward. But we always started will “you know we stand pack a couple of bottles and a least a carton of smokes for the trip“. Drinking was huge part of what we did. At work we could be the most responsible workers in our shop would work until something fixed or work was done, when we were done we hit the beach hard. It was normal to drink until the bars closed at 5:00am and still show up to work on the weekend for duty. I’m proud of some of things we did but I would trade them for anything.
We got out the Navy at the same time in Dec of 1997 we still hang out after. When I got home it seemed like that drinking was not important to me and was something I did every so often and am same way now. If you open my frig you would find a beer or two in there. I like good beer . Niall on the other hand just could not slow down. While living out west I picked were we left off having fun but slowed down after a couple of months. He just kept running will the ball.
Last year he got his first DUI and that slowed him a bit, then . until he call the other night. He told that they had been skiing on Mt Hood and party all weekend long an stayed to night had to much to drink, and six hours later when drove back to work still blew .20 bac, in most state .008 is the limit so more than 2 times over. Now he is headed back to Utah where his folks live to try start over , get the help he needs and pick up where he left off at.
When we talk its like never left one another but we took two different paths in life. And now he seeing that path he is on need a change of course. We talk about church, the VA for help will this problem any time will talk at least now he is ready to face this problem and for that I’m proud of him but its long road ahead of him. If anyone would pray for him his name is Niall Wade. I know it will help and maybe he can get to know God though the battle and give it to him. thanks Ryan

5 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

You can count on me brother. There are a lot of us who have made some bad decisions but God is always there just waiting for us to turn to Him. B4T

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

would you like him on the prayer list at church too?

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Four-Leaf K' lover said...

We are all here for each other..to share our struggles..and encourage one another.

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He deserves it for what he has done

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Niall doesn't deserve any help. He is a lying deceitful adulterer. He took my wife on my own couch while I slept in the Bedroom 25 feet away this past December. He WAS what I thought was a very good friend until that point. We used to let him crash on the couch when he came to town and it was me who invited him to the party on Mount Hood. Not all blame falls on Niall, I have issues with my wife over the situation too but I feel like any "friend" with any respect for his friends would not go there with your wife or even a steady girl friend. Enough said!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home